Monday, September 17, 2007

When parents talk...listen

6 years ago today, you were living with grandma and I was at work. Grandma called me to tell me to get to Troy B. Hospital as they rushed you there because you passed out. When we got to the hospital, they ushered us into this little room where grandma and grandpa were waiting. 6 years ago I held your hand, kissed you good bye, smoothed down your hair and cried. 6 years ago, you got to see your children together. All of us at once. Your eyes were closed up until that point.
I have been missing you terribly lately and I am not quite sure why. Perhaps it was cleaning out the garage at moms. Seeing the J there. Perhaps it is the talk of selling it? Bubba wants to work on that car and complete it. I don't know what my brother is going to do with it. Ya know yesterday at the party when the kids got silly string onto the car that dad was really upset. When I was helping him wipe it off, he had made a comment "at least it isn't on the Henry J." Honestly, I really don't want him to have any part of your car. Does that make me a bad person?
Yesterday I found your pictures and scanned them into the computer. The stupid scanner was making me really angry. I finally got it to work before I got a shower. Like I said, I sure do miss you a lot. I know you were there holding my hand and heart yesterday as I turned the computer off and got a shower. When I came out, I seen your handy work and it made me miss you more. Thank you for printing out the stuff on the printer. Gave me the chills though.
Dog the bou.nty hunter, I relate to you. I was flipping through the channels last night and stopped to watch Dog. It was an episode where he went through memory lane and eventually to the cemetery where his own dad was buried. Both him and I cried over missing our dad. Thank you dad for letting my tears come last night. I know it was long overdue.
6 years ago today, God took my father by the hand and led him towards the beautiful pearly gates of heaven. RIP dad. I miss you and love you more and more everyday. I do listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about the loss of your father. Sometimes good long tears make things all better. Or at least takes some of the pain out of your heart.