Thursday, August 13, 2009

Venting

I just don't get it. The economy is pretty crappy and people are, well people are broke. Myself included. I have a baby sitter. She is broke. She is a stay at home mom. I pay her decent money. I provide diapers, wipes, formula, baby food; everything. She is hot to get paid every week. Just the other day she was going on and on about being broke...They bought a fish tank off of Craigs.list for $100 because it was a steal. I cannot afford food and she can buy a fish tank. They just redid the inside of their house. Repainted, ripped out the carpet and put new carpet. In the kitchen, hall and living room put down laminate floor! And again, my freezer echos. She came from living on welfare as a child and not having food for snacks and such. We have canned food, and our church helps with commodit.ies so we don't starve. Our menu consists of a lot of pasta food while they eat steaks and such.

Back to the story...my son's boy scout troop was offered a great opportunity. To work as a not for profit organization and get a fund raising activity. Paying the troop for each person who works $10 an hour for working the festival. On a weekend directing traffic to parking spots! You know the flag people. Apparently this work is above her. Apparently, it makes more sense to complain about being broke and not get off your behind and do something about it. I'm sick and tired of hearing about it already.

Sit on your big behind and eat your steaks while complaining about no money while I work my tail off flagging traffic so my children can eat hot dogs and Ramon noodles and my house doesn't get foreclosed on and my utilities don't get shut off.

3 comments:

Jenera said...

I am beginning to learn that some people's version of 'broke' is vastly different from mine. My definition of broke is the same as yours-no food, etc. Others are broke if they can't run to the nearest restaurant for dinner or can't buy what they want when they want. It's infuriating.

FET Accompli said...

I totally get it - it always surprises me when people say they are having financial issues and then spend an exorbitant amount of money on non-essential items.

nancy said...

It's hard. Especially when you see situations like that. You have good karma though. Try to think of it like that.